A call came in yesterday from a friend asking how to do this.
If you lose a family member or colleague, LinkedIn has a procedure for removing their profile.
Someone will have to provide the following to LinkedIn on a form that can be found on the link above:
- The member’s name
- The URL to their LinkedIn profile
- Your relationship to them
- Member’s email address as registered with LinkedIn
- Date they died
- Link to obituary or news article
- Company they most recently worked at or other identifying information for use by LinkedIn
I can understand how LinkedIn has to be careful in asking to for proof in a few ways.
Please be sure this is done, so the name and LinkedIn profile of the deceased member does not come up in a work anniversary (as was the case today for someone I knew and admired) or when someone InMails or unknowingly asks to connect.
I am certain the other social media have similar procedures.